Wednesday 26 June 2013

Convic and those crazy Swedes

Hey gang, hows it hanging?

So in three weeks, I have my first foray into the world of Swedish comp. A lovely system where you calculate the points of your army twice and every time you fiddle with a unit size you get to recalculate them both again! HOORAY!!!!

I like to dream that the Swedish Warhammer scene has players like this...

It is actually a pretty interesting comp system, which forces some really interesting and tough choices on you as a player, except if you're playing an army which the Swedes don't perceive as great, in which case, go to town, baby!!! (seriously if noone rides the Brettonian Bus to Convic and goes to town with those bad boys, I'll be disappointed...)

Anyway, according to the High Elf draft comp, Phoenixes are stupidly OP, so is the Book of Hoeth, and the Banner of the World Dragon (Oh well, 1/3 right isn't too bad...) but the rest is A-Ok.

With this in mind, and my current obsession with pushing Dragons at people and going "RAAAWWWRR", I have come up with the following:

Prince on Star Dragon
Heavy Armour, Charmed Shield, Golden Crown, Star Lance, OTS

BSB, Shield of Merwyrm, Sword of Might, 

Level 2 - Fire Magic, Ring of Fury, Scroll

Noble on ASF Eagle, Shield, Dragonhelm, Sword of Antiheroes

14 Archers, Standard, Muso
14 Archers, Standard, Muso
5 Reavers, Bows/Spears
5 Reavers, Bows/Spears
5 Reavers, Bows/Spears

15 White Lions w/ Banner of World Dragon

3 Bolt Throwers
Flame Phoenix

This currently gives me a 12.5, mainly due to the self control on the Banner unit (more than 15 models drops me 3 comp pts...)

My main issues are:
  • Not sure if I should just give the BSB a Reaver Bow, but does mean they'll definitely have to sit back.
  • Level 2 with Fire: This ones tricky; After 5 games with High Magic, I just found it lacked range and options. With Fireball I can sit way back and do the exact same thing. Thoughts? Any other lores to consider?
  • White Lions: Again tricky and I found I had three options:
  1. as above? small and only a support unit at best, but with 3 BTs to shoot stuff at range they                     might be big enough once combat starts.
  2. Bigger unit of 21 and take the comp hit, but lose a BT? Drops me to a 10 ish.
  3. Just drop the Banner of the World Dragon entirely and get another 4 Lions and a 14 or so for comp, and ride that comp wave?



Any thoughts are much appreciated.


Oh and before anyone feels like telling me Frosties are better Phoenixes, Flamespyre matches my army scheme better so I'm keeping him. Deal with it!

2 comments:

  1. You realise that giving the White Lions just makes them more expensive when they run away at the critical moment, right? Just putting it out there... I thought they were going to get the sack when the new book came out. :P

    From looking at the pack, the comp scores are going to make little difference in the scheme of the tournament. The comp wave is little more than a ripple. Field what you like within the permitted range, I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg, what sort of numpty actually reads the Pack before a tournament... :-P You're right though. Now I've read it, I cant help but wonder what is the point in even including comp scores!

      Re White Lions, you're right and I really wasn't gonna take them because they suck but they are slightly more painted than my Princes and given my current issues finishing even the dragon/lord and a Phoenix in three weeks, I felt they'd look better on the table. Maybe I should go with the Princes... Damnit more choices!!!

      Delete