Sunday 7 July 2013

Riding the comp train...

Hey gang,



Just a quick one this week in between work, painting and moving flats.

So my list was submitted for Convic a week ago, and I'm pretty happy with it. FATSOW showed me a few things wrong with the initial Star Dragon list and how I was playing it and then Swedish comp came to the party with some ridiculous HE comp imo, so hey I'll take it!

The final list is as follows:

Prince on Star Dragon
Heavy Armour, Charmed Shield, Golden Crown, Star Lance, OTS

BSB, Shield of Merwyrm, Reaver Bow
Level 2 - Fire Magic, Ring of Fury, Scroll
Noble on ASF Eagle, Lance, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield
14 Archers, Standard, Muso
14 Archers, Standard, Muso
5 Reavers, Bows/Spears
5 Reavers, Bows/Spears
5 Reavers, Bows/Spears

18 White Lions, FC

3 Bolt Throwers
Flame Phoenix


A big old "comp riding" 14 in Swedish comp (at Convic, that's effectively only a 1.5 Point lead in a game against a 9.5 list), and yes, you read that right, there is no Banner of the World Dragon. Shock Horror! To be honest the only way I feel I could really improve it as a Star Dragon list, is a Frostheart over the Flamespyre. Even then it would only drop to a 12.3 or something... Star Dragons are soft and fluffy apparently!

The decision on BotWD was mainly made because of the tightness of points, it was either 15 WLs with it or 18 without and a better equipped Eagle Noble both of which are much better in the >50% of games where the Banner doesn't matter. Honestly though, I could actually take it or leave it based on my games so far. Its broken in some games but so useless in others, and frankly against smart players with Daemons/WoC, it just makes the game a non-event as they can't afford to engage so they just hold off and avoid it. With my current list, they can still come to me allowing me to potentially get behind, or counter attack with the Dragon/Phoenix, rather than forcing them up chasing points and splitting my army apart as a result.

It also means I have no obligation to hide my Level 2 in the unit for miscast protection. 6 dicing with impunity was great fun, but its not wise in the long run when she's stuck in a combat unit wanting to engage. Staying on the Mage, Fire magic over High Magic has been a fantastic decision. Simply put the range is the kicker. Added to the 3 Bolties and the archers I can sit back for 6 turns if I want and still get points. I look forward to hiding the Dragon against an Empire player ftw!

We shall see whether this all holds up after Convic, but I'm quite happy with the list after two games so far.


Right, back to the Painting table!

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Stupid Copy/Paste function.

      Alright, it has been fixed!

      Delete
    2. ...I see the Banner of the World Dragon on the Whitelions...

      Interesting list. I havnt given the Swedish Comp High Elves a proper look...but going off the other armies not having a lvl4 really helps get the soft scores.

      Joel v

      Delete
  2. Wow this seriously isnt working... take three!

    ReplyDelete